[cups.general] More Kerberos help needed

Rick Cochran rcc2 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 11 08:05:06 PDT 2008

I have now built CUPS under RHEL AS4 and RHEL AS5 with a prefixed installation
of MIT Kerberos 1.6.3.  I find I have to use

sudo /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/local/kerberos/lib
/usr/local/cups/sbin/cupsd

to start it, but that's just fine.

However, I still cannot get Kerberos authentication to work for printing.

The following would be very helpful:

A "theory of operation" for Kerberized CUPS.  What model is used for Kerberized
printing with CUPS?  Does the user on the client authenticate to the spooler on
the client, and then the spooler on the client authenticate to the spooler on
the server?  Or does the user on the client authenticate directly to the spooler
on the server?

Examples of the relevant config files (cupsd.conf, printers.conf, etc.) for both
a client and a server.  My goal is to be able to determine the identity of the
user who initiated the print job, and to restrict printing to users who are so
authenticated.

Thanks,
-Rick