[cups.general] hiding unwanted printers

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu Sep 11 08:27:21 PDT 2008

In our institute the "typical user workstation" is a Linux CUPS client of
a single CUPS server (running CUPS 1.2.7 under SuSE Linux). The public
printers are network printers (usually HP or Dell) with a hostname like
lp0 to lp8 and a static IP address.

Now occasionally it appears that some moron connects his own machine to
the LAN (in DHCP or with a static IP address) and misconfigures it to
announce to be a CUPS server.

When this happens all users accessing the CUPS server via the web
interface on port 631, as well as applications like firefox or openoffice
show an excessively long list of printers. Sometimes the same "official"
network printers duplicated as "lpn at x.y.z.t", sometimes a locally attached
printer of the moron host.

Instead of chasing the moron each time, would it be possible to arrange
that the Only and One CUPS server shows to the clients ONLY a predefined
list of printers ?