CUPS receiving blank username

Tom Allison noreply at tacocat.net
Mon Sep 15 03:40:11 PDT 2008

Michael Sweet wrote:
>>> The print dialog isn't answering the challenge, so I'd look for any
>>> changes on that end - GNOME/KDE updates, IP address changes, etc.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>>
>> The problem is that I'm positive there have been no software updates.
>> In addition there have been no software updates on the Windows XP
>> machine that also cannot connect to my printers remotely.  There were
>> also no changes do cupsd.conf.
>
> Then verify that your network settings haven't changed - something
> must be different to cause this problem.

I've been running into this problem as well.  But they are all mac's with the
Apple provided cups configuration.  I did change the IP address of my printer
(and subnet) and have never used any password authentication on my network.
It's all hardwired inside my home -- no need for it.  I have updated the client
cups files to point to the correct IP address.

But what's really interesting is that originally I could only print from
OpenOffice and MS Word.  I reinstalled cups because I was getting pissed and now
it only prints from FireFox and not MS Word, OpenOffice, or Mac's Preview.  So
some printer connection services do work from the notebook while others do not.
  Yet the only message privided in the logs is the same authentication message.
  However in my case there is no username/password sent because it's never been
configured to do so.