Authentication

Tom Allison noreply at tacocat.net
Mon Sep 15 10:19:01 PDT 2008

So what's the big changes in authentication?

I've *never* had to really deal with this in all the years that I've been using
CUPS.  With this last set of upgrades I've been rendered completely non-functional.

And when I try to print something I get these errors that indicate I really need
to provide a password.  There's nothing in the client to assign a user/pass to a
print session so I'm not sure what it's asking for.  I have tried to disable the
authentication requirement blocks but I'm not seeing any improvement.

 From what I gather from the docs:

@LOCAL actually means the local SUBNET (192.168.1.0/24) and not localhost
(127.0.0.1).  True/False?

If I want the printers to be accessible from the network clients, I have to turn
on the following:
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL

And I do not need to add any mention of 192.168.1.* ???
And for the <Location />

<Location />
   # Allow shared printing...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow localhost, 192.168.1.*
</Location>

Unfortunately this results in just flat 403 forbidden for something as benign as
  /help. It's going backwards...  I've never had this much trouble with CUPS on
the network.  Usually it's getting the printers configured.