Prompting User before Print

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Sep 16 09:19:41 PDT 2008

David Yauch wrote:
> I was just wondering if there is a possibility for CUPS to prompt the user (for authentication) before allowing a job to be printed.

You can require authentication for all printing or for printing
from specific IPs or hosts via policies - see:

     http://localhost:631/help/policies.html

> I know that the user permissions can be set by config file, but is there a way to do it "on the fly" when a job is requesting to be printed?  More verification of user or a way to limit printing per user...

You can't require authentication for specific user names, since you'd
need the user name to make that determination and can only trust the
name once you have authenticated.

You *can* create access control lists to allow/deny particular users
or groups to print, with or without authentication.  See the "Set
Allowed Users" controls in the web interface or "man lpadmin" for the
-u option to setup these lists.