[cups.general] Got CUPS to find printer - suggestions on basic PPD?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 18:21:50 PDT 2008

Collin Day wrote:
> I figured I would try this just to get something basic.  When I try a
> test page, I get nothing.  Is my color model line wrong?  Should I
> add something to use PCL3GUI?  I know it is basic, but I am just
> trying to understand the whole system and how the pieces work.  If I
> could get a little thing that works, I could build from that.

Like I mentioned before, the newer DeskJet printers are very picky
about which modes they support.  I'd guess that you either need to
use a different resolution (1200?) or define the lookup table
attribute so that the correct bit depth is used.

If you use non-PCL3GUI mode, it will likely allow any 1-bit mode
with CRD, but that won't give you the best output quality...