CUPS processing very slow

Sasa Stupar sasa at stupar.homelinux.net
Wed Sep 17 03:36:05 PDT 2008

Hi!

I have installed CUPS 1.3.8_1 on FreeBSD 7 (amd64). I have a network printer (Brother HL-1450) which I have added into CUPS as Raw and raw queue. Now all the machines are setup to use CUPS as printserver instead of printing directly to printer. The settings worked fine on the same machine but with FBSD 7 32bit. On 64bit system I have the folowing problems:
- can't print test page directly from cups web interface but can print test page from clients (mostly win, some linux)
- after the first print everything stalle; message on the cups web admin interface "Printer is busy, retry in x sec..." and it shows processing but never printed out and after some time I get an error "/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/http failed" or ""Printer does not support IPP/1.1, trying IPP/1.0..."
- even if I delete all the jobs processing or pending in queue doesn't help to get printer to "ready" status except rebooting the machine
- I have tried to print directly to printer and it works (so the problem is not here)
I have allready make deinstall and again new install and configuration but allways the same problems.

I have also cups-pdf installed and it is working without any problems.

Mine cupsd.conf:
------------
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup wheel
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Encryption Required
  # Restrict access to the admin pages...
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Restrict access to the configuration files...
  Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>
------------

printers.conf
------------
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
# Written by cupsd on 2008-09-17 12:31
<Printer pdf>
Info PDF creator
Location server