pstops and duplex problem after update from 1.3.6 to 1.3.8

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Sep 18 08:29:44 PDT 2008

Ralf Aumueller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after I updated CUPS to version 1.3.8 I have problems with duplex
> printing from Windows clients (with PS drivers). First I had to
> set the samba-cups option "cups options = raw" to get it work
> again with Samba.
>
> But users who print direct over IPP from Windows (with PS driver) to
> the CUPS server can't print duplex. If I copy the old pstops program
> from 1.3.6 to the lib/cups/filter directory of 1.3.8 duplex printing
> from Windows works again.
> (I assume that this comes from the different locations in the PS file
> where the printer options get inserted. With version 1.3.6 it's just
> after the %%EndProlog while with 1.3.8 it's just before %%EndSetup).
>
> Do I make something wrong?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ralf

Modiry your mime database files (foo.types and foo.convs) to tag
the PS jobs from Windows as application/vnd.cups-postscript, e.g. by
testing for the string "PScript5.dll" within the first 1K bytes
of the job.
That should (hopefully) bypass the pstops filter.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung