[cups.general] SSLPort vs Port (SSLListen vs Listen)

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 18 16:26:49 PDT 2008

Lt. John J. Dunbar wrote:
> Can someone comment on these options.
>
> If I want to specify encryption as required or always, is it necessary that I have at least one SSLPort open?

Not for CUPS 1.3 or higher, since SSL and TLS are supported on all
ports automatically.

> Does the Port/Listen directive mean that cups will be listening for both regular and encrypted connections on the given port/interface while SSL only listens of encrypted connections?

SSLPort does imply only encrypted connections will be accepted,
but requires the client to know that encryption is required.

Using "Encryption Required" in the location definitions will
provide the same level of security and work in all situations.

> Can I specify Port 631, SSLPort 631?

No, you'll get a failure because you are listening twice on the
same port.

> Do these options apply to regular printing operations, browsing,
> or both?

Browsing is always unencrypted, so these options only apply to HTTP
and IPP operations (printing, status monitoring, web interface, etc.)