[cups.general] solaris10 client can't see remote cups printerinstance?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Sep 19 07:47:31 PDT 2008

Ryan Suarez wrote:
> So I guess my question is:
>
> sol10client:~# lpstat -p
> printer ir-a1-s4 disabled since September 18, 2008  1:23:44 PM EDT.
> available.
>        Unable to get printer Tray2: successful-ok
>

> Why does the client think the remote printer is 'Tray2', instead of
> 'ir-a1-e4/Tray2' ?
>
> Ryan Suarez wrote:
>
>> Ok sorry, just found out what changed.  The solaris boxes were
>> upgraded from solaris8 to solaris10 last night so this is no longer
>> working.
>>
>> Any help to get this working again is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> thanks,
>> Ryan
>>
>> Ryan Suarez wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> It seems our solaris10 clients can't map remote cups printer
>>> instances, it sets the queue as disabled.  If use the remote printer
>>> directly (without the instance), it works fine.
>>>
>>> Can someone help troubleshoot?  This was working for me before, not
>>> sure what changed
>>> The client is solaris10 mapping a remote printer on debian sarge
>>> running cups 1.3.7 using the cups-lpd gateway
>>>
>>> sol10client:~# lpadmin -p ir-a1-s4 -s ir-a1-e4/Tray2 at cupsserver
>>>
>>> sol10client:~# echo test|lp -d ir-a1-s4
>>> ir-a1-s4: not-accepting
>>>
>>> sol10client:~# lpstat -p
>>> printer ir-a1-s4 disabled since September 18, 2008  1:23:44 PM EDT.
>>> available.
>>>         Unable to get printer Tray2: successful-ok
>>>
>>> sol10client:~# enable ir-a1-s4
>>> enable: ir-a1-s4: operation-not-supported
>>>
>>> sol10client:~# lpstat -v
>>> system for ir-a1-s4: cupsserver (as
>>> lpd://cupsserver/printers/ir-a1-e4/Tray2#Solaris)
>>>
>>> cupsserver (/etc/cups/lpoptions):
>>> Dest ir-a1-e4/Tray2 job-sheets=none cpi=15 InputSlot=Tray2
>>> cupsserver# lpstat -p
>>> printer ir-a1-e4/Tray2 is idle.  enabled since Thu Sep 18 13:13:40 2008
>>>
>>> cupsserver:/SC/ss/src/cups# echo test|lp -d ir-a1-e4/Tray2
>>> request id is ir-a1-e4-462884 (1 file(s))
>>> I [18/Sep/2008:13:26:16 -0400] [Job 462884] Queued on "ir-a1-e4" by
>>> "root".

The built-in printing service has been modified significantly from Solaris 9
to Solaris 10. Among others it contains an IPP listener application which serves
as an interface to the SYSV style printing system. You at least need to disable
this application by issuing the command

svcadm disable svc:/application/print/ipp-listener:default

in order to let CUPS bind to the IPP port.

If your CUPS configuration uses cups-lpd or the lpd-backend, your should also
disable svc:/application/print/rfc1179:default .

Helge

PS: the command
svcs
lists all services and their state which are managed by this new system.
Note that Solaris 10 no longer serves an inetd.conf file. There is a
conversion utility that converts inetd.conf entries into the new
manifest format (xml based).

See the respective man pages for further info.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung

H.Blischke at acm.org