Classes + Windows + strange behavior

Joshua M. Murphy poisonbl+cups at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 08:59:18 PDT 2008

I'm seeing a strange issue here... I have a number of (about 70) Windows systems printing through Samba to a pair of printers in a printer class on Cups and I end up with print jobs 'stalling' in the class's print queue on the server. Instead of merely blocking everything else from printing, though, it does one better.. the print job gets sent to both printers repeatedly until someone goes in and manually deletes it from the queue. The jobs are PDFs 80% or so of the time and PowerPoint the rest. Anyone seen anything like this? I've searched around a few different days now and haven't found anything remotely close... while going back to 2 separate print queues on the user side would likely solve it, the list of things going to a class solved for me would come crashing back down into my lap to deal with all over again.

Thanks in advance,
Joshua M. Murphy