LP, LPR rejection problem found & solved

Michael Johnson mikej163 at cableone.net
Sat Sep 20 10:15:27 PDT 2008

As I promised, when I finally ran down the problem I would post it to the forum here.

WHAT DID NOT WORK:
  rebuilding 1.3.6
  rebuilding 1.3.7
  rebuilding 1.3.8

Same behavior of client not authorized exhibited.
Another blind alley was firewall settings between the two machines,
and the permission settings of lp, and lpr

What I discovered was that if I added a brand new printer using the guttenberg driver instead of the hpiijs, none of the bad behavior happened.

I finally looked down to the que and discovered the old que had been locked. Just clearing the lock did not remove the problem, but deleting the printer from the control panel and readding it with the right driver did solve the problem.  No I have no idea who or what locked the que.

It looks from the differences between the smb file paths which worked that the old printer path used the workgroup and the new one does not. I am not sure if that is a samba update or an xp update, but it played havoc with the printer.

My recommendation to the next person who runs into this problem, the quickest and easiest workaround is to completely remove the old printer and readd it, and do NOT use the workgroup in the URL path name.

Mike