[cups.general] cupsaddsmb -> No PPD file for printer (yes I know, I have RAW printers!)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Sep 22 03:21:09 PDT 2008

I have a "full-blown" Samba domain controller running on a small ARM
device (64 MB RAM, 266 MHz XScale CPU).

Is has several printers connected, and Windows clients print through
Samba/CUPS.

Because of tiny processing power of this ARM device, it only prints well
to PostScript printers. Anything non-Postscript has to be converted via
Ghostscipt, foomatic and/or other filters, which just take too much time
(sometimes, 20 minutes to print a document).

Therefore, I set up such printers to use RAW mode, and clients use their
own Windows driver.

Unfortunately, RAW printers break "cupsaddsmb", i.e.:

# cupsadsmb -a -v -H 127.0.0.1 -U Administrator
(...)
cupsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "BROTHER_HL2070N_2" - Not Found

I understand that cupsaddsmb was not intended to be used with RAW
printers, but it makes it uncomfortable to use when one has more
printers, as it's not possible to use the -a switch ("Export all printers").

Are there any workarounds to that?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org