how to get bold print?

Guido weathercoach at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:49:46 PDT 2008

   Hello.

   I'm using CUPS version 1.1.21 on Solaris 10 (sparc).  Today one of our users asked me how to print bold print jobs.  I figured that would be the simplest question of the day.   However in searching this forum for "bold" I only get hit's where "bold" is part of someones name.   I tried searching for font with no luck either.

   When I grep for "bold" in the ppd file I see many mentions of
different bold fonts like this

grep -i bold hp5500.ppd
*HPwmFont CourierB/Courier Bold: "
  /Courier-Bold findfont dup length dict begin
*HPwmFont TimesB/Times Bold: "
  /Times-Bold findfont dup length dict begin
*HPwmFont HelveticaB/Helvetica Bold: "

   However I cannot figure out how to submit an job using lp and specify that a bold font should be used.

  I was assuming that this would be passed in as an lp option and have
tried the following with no luck
lp -d r02 -o bold /etc/release
lp -d r02 -o font=Courier-Bold /etc/release
lp -d r02 -o cvn=Courier-Bold /etc/release

   Any ideas on how to specify a font or choose a generic bold option
would be appreciated.
  TIA.G