[cups.bugs] cups 1.3.8.1 crash

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 4 09:48:49 PDT 2008

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> So they are:
> cups-common + cups-utils 1.3.8.1

OK, so for starters there is no CUPS 1.3.8.1.  What you have is not
a standard CUPS distribution, so you'll need to report this problem
to your Linux distributor.

> foomatic-db-engine 3.0.2
> foomatic-db-gutenprint 5.0.2-4

Gutenprint does not require foomatic, which is an entirely unnecessary
piece of software for 99.9% of all printers that are supported through
CUPS today.

> cups-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-4
> gimp-gutenprint 5.0.2-4

Gutenprint is only needed for inkjet printers.

> lpstat -t is crashing the server. So now I wonder, there is some way
> to debug this? Is it a known problem?

It is not a known problem, but as I said above you are not using a
standard CUPS release.

The /var/log/cups/error_log file may provide some hints as to the
cause of the crash, and your Linux distributor will probably want a
copy of it when they try to determine the cause of the problem.

> BTW, where should I ask general usage question, even if not related to
> some bugs?

The cups.general forum is the place to ask general usage questions.