[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2931: "Apple Bonjour compatibility layerof Avahi" warning causes SIGPIPE crash

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Sep 6 16:15:21 PDT 2008

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Michael Sweet [2008-09-06 11:49 -0700]:
>> This is an Avahi bug. We will not add any workarounds for their broken
>> compatibility layer.
>>
>> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2931
>> Version: 1.3.8
>> Fix Version: Will Not Fix
>
> Why is it an avahi bug?  It's just how the avahi compat layer works,
> and cups uses it in a wrong way (using a library which writes to
> stderr without telling the library not to or ignoring SIGPIPE). This
> behaviour makes cups crash, so claiming that "it is not my problem"
> won't help users of cups...

Put another way, Avahi's compat layer writes out a bogus error to
stderr which is guaranteed to cause problems.  What the Avahi
developers can do it either a) fix their compat layer or b) remove
their compat layer if they don't want to support it.  What Linux
distributors can do is add --disable-dbus when building CUPS until
the Avahi folks make up their mind about whether they want to support
Apple's original DNS-SD API.