MDNS backchannel on OSX 10.4

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 08:57:45 PDT 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I check all the CUPS version, only latest 1.4 version contains mdns backend.
>
> But OSX 10.3 and 10.4 has released for years, where does OSX 10.3.9 and 10.4 get the mdns backend from?

Mac OS X 10.5 and earlier use a different mdns implementation that was
not open sourced.  That said, all the mdns backend does when printing
is execute the backend that corresponds to the protocol being used -
ipp, lpd, riousbprint, or socket.  Any back-channel support will come
from those backends and not mdns itself.