[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2948: cupstestppd: Mode needed which passes if CUPS would accept the PPD and fails if not

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 01:56:32 PDT 2008

[STR New]

I get very many PPD files from printer manufacturers to be included in the
OpenPrinting database and in Linux distributions. Many of these PPDs
failed the current cupstestppd (CUPS 1.3.8).

Problem is now that a PPD which fails cupstestppd is not necessarily
rejected by CUPS when creating a print queue with it. So I cannot use
cupstestppd to determine whether I MUST patch a PPD to assure that CUPS
will accept it. I also cannot use cupstestppd in a printer setup tool to
pre-check whether the PPD used for the print queue (for example a PPD
supplied by the user) will get accepted by CUPS.

So what I would like to have is a command line switch in cupstestppd
making it fail PPDs which CUPS would not accept and pass PPDs which CUPS
would accept.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2948
Version:  -feature