[cups.development] How to use own backend

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun Sep 28 07:56:54 PDT 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> To resolve a issue on OSX 10.3.9, I have to write own USB backend.
>
> I don't wanna replace Apple's usb backend as your suggested.
>
> so I rename it to musb.
>
> The question is how to tell CUPS system to use musb instead of usb backend when printing with my CUPS filter driver?

CUPS will see it as another backend and the device will show up in the
Add Printer window.  However, if Mac OS X auto-adds the printer when
connected (which will happen if the product or 1284 device ID strings
match) you'll end up with the standard USB backend.

For USB printers we usually recommend writing a class driver to do
custom stuff - Apple DTS can provide you with source, and you'll
register the class driver via a codeless kext.