clients get stuck when server reboots

cheryl southard cld at astro.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 1 09:36:04 PDT 2009

> Cheryl L. Southard wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > We have one main print server running cups V1.3.9 (compiled from src)
> > on a RedHat Enterprise 4 linux computer which broadcasts browsing info
> > to mac/solaris/linux print clients with "BrowseAddress" lines in the
> > cupsd.conf.
> >
> > When the print server reboots, the cups software on the RedHat 4 Linux
> > clients gets stuck.  On the client, "lpstat -a" returns
> >         lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable
> >
> > Our RedHat Enterprise 4 clients are running cups from rpm
> >         > rpm -q cups
> >         cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.27
> >
> > Our solaris and Mac print clients are fine after a server reboot.
> >
> > I can reset the clients by restarting cupsd on them.
> >
> > Can anyone please advise how I can debug this problem.
> >
> > Enclosed is the cupsd.conf from our server.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chery
> You probably ran into the charset incompatibility between cups 1.1.x and
> 1.3.x. As of a not remembered 1.2.x version, cups only accepts UTF-8
> in IPP requests and responses.
>
> To fix that with your 1.1.x clientes, edit your cups locale setting as
> follows:
>
> in /usr/[local/]share/locale/xx/cups_xx (where xx is your language
> shortcut), edit the first line from whatever it is (I presume some
> iso-8859-n) to utf-8, then restart your client's cupsd.
>
> Let me knowif it does not work.
>
> Helge

Hi Helge,

Thanks for a reply.  We've hit the UTF-8 charset incompatibility, but only
when we have a client.conf file with a "ServerName <cups-server>" entry.  We
didn't have any problems printing from a cups 1.1.x client to the cups 1.3.x
server until AFTER the server reboots.  Would changing the cups locale really fix the problem of reboots hanging the clients?  I guess I'm not really understanding HOW a server reboot cold hang the cups software on the client.

Thanks,
Cheryl