Automatically start printer / Type of Queue / Spooler

Stefan Malte Schumacher s.schumacher at netcologne.de
Thu Apr 9 20:00:48 PDT 2009

Hello

I just installed my new Kyocera FS-1030D on my all-in-one-server, which is running cups-1.1.20-108.31. (The installation is rather old.) The printer itself is working, I downloaded and "installed" the PPD-File from Kyocera and network printing, which is the main function of the printer, also works. Nonetheless I still have a few questions:

1) The printer is replacing an Canon Inkjet, which for convenience was always left on. Unfortunately the Kyocera is rather noisy, even in standby mode and I therefore would like to deactivate it via the off-switch when not in use. The problem I am facing is, that when I power the printer on I have to restart it manually via the webinterface for printing to commence. Is there any way to prevent the printer going to "off" status in cups or to restart it automatically ?

2) As with the previous Inkjet I created two printer entries, one for local printing with the PPD from Kyocera and another Raw Queue, to which I am printing with the Kyocera Windows Drivers via IPP from the clients. While googling I found multiple recommendations to print not via the Raw Queue but the printer entry created with the PPDs, using the Adobe Postscript Printer Driver. What exactly are the benefits of printing via raw queue as compared to printing with the Postscript printer drive and vice-versa ?

3) If I print with the current setup, is the spool which is shown in the windows printer panel a local spool to which printjobs are delivered before being send over network to the CUPS spool or is the driver directly accessing the network spool ? Is it possible to access the printer spool of cups any other way than via the webinterface in order to pause or cancel jobs ?

Yours sincerely & Thanks in advance
Stefan Malte Schumacher