Load Balancing

Jack jax at nwmt.us
Sat Apr 11 13:38:26 PDT 2009

Hello all!
I'm working with cups in what i consider a large installation.  So far it's working really quite well, simple and fast.

Here's the layout:
There are two cups servers, they are mirrors of each other.  There both have the same name in dns "PrintServer".  Now, the nice part of that is that when a user prints, the job goes to either server.  However, when one of the servers is down, then about half the jobs don't print and get errors.

So...  I'm looking for a sane load balancer aimed at CUPS.  I'd like to have 3 cups servers active.  We have over 500 printers now in our network (3 hospitals, many clinics in linked networks).

Anyway, you folks using Linux HA for this or what?

thanks,
Jack