SNMP printer detection

ronaly ronaly at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:50:56 PDT 2009

How are you able to get the modelname of the printer? Is it through 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.2.1.3.1 OID alone? As I mentioned below the returned value for that OID though has the modelname but also appended with additional information of the printer. In Mac OS X, we can determine that the printing system is not able to match the printer and the Host because it cannot automatically create a print queue. Does cups handles the print queue creation in Mac OS X?

I have a known printer, the OS is able to successfully match the printer and Host. I have also another printer that won't. If the 2nd printer uses the private mib from the first printer, the OS is now able to match it. That is why I'm thinking if there is something to do with those private MIBs. The return of those private MIBs are modelname alone.

But maybe I'm wrong, if it's cups that handles the printer queue creation in Mac OS X, then where in SNMP it can acquire for the modelname that is used to match with the Product Name attribute in PPD.

Thanks in advance for the help.