[cups.general] Problem with raw printers and large jobs

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 14 01:13:05 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Apr 11 13:52 Jack wrote (shortened):
> ... I kept Windows in charge of the rendering of the jobs
> with all raw printing, and the drivers loaded windows side
> What is going on is that the printer will run out of paper,
> and cups will wait a certain amount of time, and if the person
> doesn't get the tray reloaded, it'll restart the job, wasting
> all that time/paper again.

When you use raw queues, there is only the CUPS backend running
which sends the raw data to the printer, e.g. compare
"The Filter" with "The Backend" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Therefore - as far as I see - it is the CUPS backend
(e.g. "socket" for a network printer) which waits
a certain amount of time until it gives up
with a certain exit code which signals the cupsd
what to do with the print job, see "man backend" e.g. at
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/man-backend.html
and "ErrorPolicy" e.g. at
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/ref-printers-conf.html
(choose the right CUPS version for you).

Have a look at /var/log/cups/error_log what exactly
happens at your particular system, compare
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"If problems are encountered"

To change the behaviour of your CUPS backend it might be possible
to set appropriate additional paramenters directly in the CUPS
DeviceURI e.g. see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/network.html

Alternatively you may daisy-chain beh (backend error handler),
have a look at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/BackendErrorHandler

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner