NO disable client queue if ipp-server-queue ist disabled ?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Apr 15 13:08:47 PDT 2009

Matthias Ehrig wrote:

> hello,
>
> we have a server-client configuration with two cups-servers for access to
> many real printers and all clients must print over these servers. Since
> now we used cups-1.2.4 (redhat-linux). Now we have an upgrade to
> cups-1.3.7 for servers and clients and now jobs from clients will not more
> queued to server if the queue on the server is disabled (but accepting
> requests). If the first job from client will be sent to server, the client
> queue will disabled an the job ist not spooled. With cups-1.2.4 the jobs
> will spooled !
>
> What can i do to prevent this situation ? It's very important, that jobs
> are spooled and queues still enabled, since clients can every time boot in
> an another operating system an then no more jobs must leave on client. I
> use HTTP-URIs for connection, e.g.
> http://primat1.domain:631/printers/1_073x?waitprinter=false?waitjob=no
>
> thanks for any help
>
> Matthias

What printers are you dealing with?
Try to set cupsd to debug and look if aou get see
a state message telling you something like
"printer offline". If that is the case, I could provide
a hacked IPP backend (based on cups 1.3.5) which account for
situations like this through an additional device_uri option.
You need to recompile cups in that case bat only need to
exchange the ipp backend binary.

Helge