CUPS + Samba Unable to set device

John Doe john at stz-bg.com
Thu Apr 16 01:16:22 PDT 2009

> John Doe wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > i try to set my cups (v. 1.3.9) to work with samba priner and i receive
> > that error in error log:

---
> > I use ghostscript version 8.64
> >
> > Can some one point me any hints ? and if this message is not for here
> > (cups) for which mailling list i should post it.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Are you sure the hpijs program exists and can be reached by the path accessible to your Ghostscript?
> The message "unable to open the initial device"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      tells you that either
> - Ghostscript has not been compiled with the ijs device,or
> - the hpijs program cannot be launched, or
> - the hpijs program dies because of invalid options
>   (but in that case it should throw an error message).
>
> Helge

Yes they exists and can be reached:

$which hpijs
/usr/bin/hpijs
$ls -la /usr/bin/hpijs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 518072 2009-03-17 04:05 /usr/bin/hpijs*
$which gs
/usr/bin/gs
$ls -la /usr/bin/gs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6112880 2009-02-04 22:43 /usr/bin/gs

The GS is compiled with --with-ijs

My experience is not good with a printings, how i can start from console this command to check if will work or not:

Starting renderer with command: "gs -sstdout=%stderr  -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjs
Server=hpijs -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792 -sDeviceManufacturer="HEWLETT-PACKARD" -sDeviceModel
="HP LaserJet 1018" -r600 -sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:PenSet=0,PS:MediaPosition=7 -d
IjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile=%stdout -_"
Starting process "kid3" (generation 1)

Closing renderer
Starting process "kid4" (generation 2)
JCL: 12345X at PJL
<job data>

Starting process "renderer" (generation 2)
unable to set device=HP LaserJet 1018, err=48
unable to set device=HP LaserJet 1018, err=48
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
unable to read client data err=-2
renderer exited with status 1
Possible error on renderer command line or PostScript error. Check options.kid3 exited with status 3
Process is dying with "Error closing renderer
", exit stat 3
Cleaning up...

Condor