[cups.general] CUPS + Samba Unable to set device

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Apr 16 02:28:29 PDT 2009

On Apr 16 02:14 Helge Blischke wrote (shortened):
> John Doe wrote:
>> unable to set device=HP LaserJet 1018, err=48
>
> Rereading your first post, I see that your printer is set up as a "samba
> printer" (presumably via smbspool). I suspect that hpijs needs a two
> way connection to the printer, which smbspool does not provide (I'm
> not completely sure about this, as I never used hpijs in practice until
> now). If my suspicion is correct, I gues you are lost.

A HP LaserJet 1018 is a cheapest lowest-level kind of device.

After power-on it requires firmware upload
and in any case it requires a proprietary driver plugin.

It is almost sure that such kind of devices only works
when it is directly connected via a bi-directional communication
to the comptuer where the driver runs.

For some details see
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_1018.html

In short: For normal printing buy a normal printer ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex