Adding Encrypted Printer

James Chase james at mandala-designs.com
Sun Apr 19 19:53:02 PDT 2009

> See the documentation at:
>
>      http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
>
> Basically, add "?encryption=always" to the end of an IPP URI, e.g.:
>
>      /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p rwssl4 -E -v "ipp://209.119.222.222:631/?encryption=always
> " -m raw
>
> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:00 AM, James Chase wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to add a printer that uses SSL encryption. When I run
> > this command I get the following error
> >
> > # /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p rwssl4 -E -v https://209.119.222.222:631 -m raw
> >
> > lpadmin: Bad device-uri "https://209.119.188.226:631"!
> >
> > How can you setup a printer for communication over SSL if not by
> > specifying https?

> Michael R Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer

I get the following error on error_log on the CUPS server

EncryptClient: error:1407609C:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:http request

I have "Encryption Always" on the directive for the printer on the CUPS Server, and on the CUPS client I added ?encryption=always as you and the documentation make note of.

Could this be indicative of no SSL support on my client CUPS? It seems off that SSL would not be compiled into CUPS in the package release (it is CentOS 5).

Any ideas?