[cups.general] Adding Encrypted Printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Apr 20 08:26:25 PDT 2009

You can't set "Encryption Always" on the server, since the Encryption
directive is only valid for locations and policies.  Use SSLPort or
SSLListen for that.

That said, for any recent CUPS release, the auto-SSL code should pick
up on the SSL encryption from the client end without problems.

CENTOS does ship with SSL support (via OpenSSL), so either you don't
have a valid SSL certificate for CUPS setup (it should create a
certificate and private key automatically, but if an invalid one is
supplied it will spit out an error...) or the client-side is not
configured properly.

If you *are* printing to another CUPS server, the URI you are
providing is invalid. The correct URI format for a SSL connection is:

     ipp://host-or-ip:port/printers/printername?encryption=always

Alternately you can use "encryption=required" to do the HTTP Upgrade
thing.