Listen vs. <Location />

Paul Landers j.paul.landers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:19:03 PDT 2009

One of the most confusing things for me had been what appear to be overlapping directives.  For example, why is it necessary to specify both a Listen directive as well as the <Location /> directive?  They both appear to control the same access, and I have not yet found a clear explanation of the differences.

Also, from the CUPS SAM, the explanation for the directive 'Browsing On':

"This directive does not enable sharing of local printers by itself; you must also use the BrowseAddress or BrowseProtocols directives to advertise local printers to other systems."

My question is simply 'why not'?  In other words, if I set 'Browsing On' but did not set any BrowseAddress or BrowseProtocols, then how would CUPS behave?

I would be very grateful if someone could clarify and simplify these questions.

Thank you!