[cups.general] No more dialog

Mickael Choisnard Mickael.Choisnard at u-bourgogne.fr
Mon Apr 27 14:23:03 PDT 2009

Hi,
I use a cups server on Etch (cupsys 1.2.7-4etch7) with linux clients and XP.
Since one week, cups server didn't receive request from clients (after an
update)
I can always print from the cups server.
I don't understand why my system didn't work anymore.
There is no firewall between cups server and clients. I don't use samba.
I use ipp with XP and cups for linux clients. There is no encryption.

I use tcpdump to see transactions between cups server and a client.
There is a dialog between them.

My cupsd.conf
============
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup lpadmin
Listen *:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @local
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.31.33.99
  Allow 172.31.33.202
  Allow 172.31.33.201
</Location>
<Location /admin>
# Encryption Required
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.31.33.99
  Allow 172.31.33.202
  Allow 172.31.33.201
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
# AuthType Basic
# Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.31.33.99
  Allow 172.31.33.202
  Allow 172.31.33.201
</Location>

<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs
Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
#   Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer
Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs
Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer
Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After
CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class
CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
#   AuthType Basic
#   Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
#   Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap

My printers.conf
===========
<Printer Imp4201>
Info HP Laserjet 4200 01
Location Local Imprimantes
DeviceURI socket://172.31.17.12:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1231511110
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
<Printer Imp4202>
Info HP Laserjet 4200 2
Location Local Imprimantes
DeviceURI socket://172.31.17.11:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1231507496
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

error.log
=========
D [27/Apr/2009:23:02:19 +0200] cupsdReadClient: 8 POST / HTTP/1.1
D [27/Apr/2009:23:02:19 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.
D [27/Apr/2009:23:02:19 +0200] Get-Printer-Attributes
ipp://localhost/printers/Imp4202