[cups.general] Cups does not write a page_log file at all

Krishnamurti L. L. V. Nunes krishnalelis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:24:06 PDT 2009

2009/4/28 Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>:
> Krishnamurti L. L. V. Nunes wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to set my cups server so that I'm able to gererate some
>> printing statistics in the future.
>> I'd like to have a report of how many pages each user has printed.
>>
>> I added the lines bellow to my conf file, but no page_log file is created:
>
> You haven't specified the version of CUPS you have or which driver(s)
> you are using...
>
> Except for PostScript printers with no filters, page_log depends on
> the driver generating PAGE: messages for each page it produces.  If
> the driver doesn't generate PAGE: messages, you don't get a page_log
> file.

My fail.
Cups is 1.3.8 and the driver is HP-Color_LaserJet_2600n.ppd from the
package foo2zjs in debian. Other packages like hpijs, hplip and hpoj
provide drivers that work with the HP Color Laserjet 2600, but not
with the 2600n.

Do you think the logs are missing because of the driver?
I tried to get something from the documentation of the package, but
nothing helped me.
Is there anything I can do to debug whether this is the cause of the
problem or not?

Krishna