CUPS/IPP Printer Conformance

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 29 21:29:08 PDT 2009

Justin Snapp wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> My team and I have been tasked with developing a CUPS/IPP conformance
> test to be used for our upcoming printers still in testing.
>
> I have noticed that the /test/ folder includes several scripts that
> we might be able to use.  Are there any documentation that explains
> the capabilities of the scripts?

Not at present.  Currently the ipptest program is only an internal
testing tool, but I have been working on making it generally useful
so that it can be used beyond CUPS.

 > The .test files are written in a
> language for which there is no reference document for.  We need to
> know how to use the commands that are used to write the .test files.

They are all hand written.  The basic syntax is very simple and
consists of one or more requests with the expected responses
(status and/or attributes) for that test.

> Before we were tasked with developing a new system, we used to use a
> product called Genoa IPP Expert Test Suite.  They have discontinued
> the software several years ago.  Now we are in need of a test suite
> that will test all parts of CUPS, IPP 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 2.1.
>
> Obviously, we could use some direction on how to move forward.

> CUPS and IPP?  Are there .test documents we can use to reference?

It is pretty hard to test all possible cases with canned tests,
however we *do* use ipptest to do the core conformance testing of
cupsd and various operations for the "make check" and "make test"
tests.

> 2)
> If not, do you know a 3rd party solution that would take the place of
> the Genoa IPP Expert Test Suite?

I know of no other 3rd-party testing solutions for IPP.