HTML interface for printers gives URL with loopback(127.0.0.1)

Julian Bridle julian at pacepetroleum.com
Tue Apr 7 09:29:38 PDT 2009

I have recently built version 1.3.9 on a test server, replacing version 1.3.8 which I currently use in production.  The behaviour in the HTML interface seems to have changed and overrides the hostname in the URLs for the printer option buttons to contain the localhost IP address. e.g. http://127.0.0.1/printers/brother

This might go unnoticed on an installation where the browser is run on the print server, but my server does not have a graphics card or screen so all the admin is done via the HTML interface from a PC, where it understandably results in a connection refused as the browser get directed at the local host, rather than the print server.

I access the admin pages by the following URL - http://icarus:631 where icarus is resolved by my local DNS to a private IP address.  All pages in the web interface seem to be rendered correctly (e.g. http://icarus:631/admin and even http://icarus:631/printers) until you select the 'Printers' tab, where all hyperlinks get changed to contain the loopback IP address.  E.g. http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/brother.  The equivalent page under the previous 1.3.8 release on the same server and on the production server leaves the correct hostname in the URL.

I have compared the cupsd.conf with the production one and the contents are the same, except that in the location section, the two servers allow one another.

My servers are both Sun Sparc servers (different models) running Solaris 10, and I am accessing the HTML pages using Firefox 3.0.8 from a Windows Terminal Server running MS Windows 2003 SP1, but I have had the same results with IE 7.0.5730.11

I have not been abe to find any reference to this issue in the bugs or general forums, or in the bug list so I reluctantly think it may be a new bug.