Cups/printers.conf cannot be edited. It re-writes itself. Need help!

George Ross georgeaross at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:03:01 PDT 2009

I have a home network. All PCs are Ubuntu 9.04. The PC with the printer, prints fine. Up until a few days ago the other PC could use that printer via the network, too. But, apparently, an update changed things.
I did a goole search & found this site that explains the problem but some have had success whereas I have not.
http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2008/11/21/cant-print-in-evince-gedit-claws-mail/#comments
I’ve had no success using…
sudo /etc/init.d/cups stop
sudo gedit /etc/cups/printers.conf
Change line to #AuthInfoRequired username,password
Save/close
sudo /etc/init.d/cups start

It rewrites itself back to AuthInfoRequired username,password
I also tried this, sudo vi /etc/cupsd/printers.conf but I don’t have a cupsd folder so the terminal acts rather strange so I closed it.

I have also posted on the ubuntuforums site;
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7094796#post7094796
& haven't had any response!

I'm not all that swift using the terminal to solve things but it would seem that a program elsewhere is re-writing the printers.conf after it's been edited.
Please help as I'm at a loss how to fix this!

GARoss