Oddity with MacOS X 10.5.7 LPR and IPP sharing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Aug 2 12:59:40 PDT 2009

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> - I'm now sharing the queue via IPP and LPR.  I just wanted to share the
> queue via LPR.

You can't.  LPR (really LPD) is an additional (legacy) protocol you
can support, but you can't opt out of IPP since that is the native
protocol used by CUPS.

> - Server Admin's list of queues is out of sync with reality (because
> there is a bug with Server Admin actually enabling what it purports to
> enable?).  The IPP checkbox is not checked indicating that Server Admin
> sees the queue as unshared via IPP.  This is untrue as I can illustrate
> below.

This is a known bug.

> How does one properly set up a print queue to be shared only via LPR?

You can't.

> How does one properly control which protocols are used for print queue
> sharing?

See my other post for instructions.  If you use
"BrowseLocalProtocols=none" then the queues won't be advertised at all
(but users can still print directly by adding an IP printer)