Several hosts

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Aug 4 10:27:28 PDT 2009

Ravn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use both the localhost and a server as print-servers. On my
> school I have gotten the instructions that I should add ServerName
> print.chalmers.se to /etc/cups/client.conf. This gives me:
> 1. I can print using the server on my school, but only from the command
> line. All GNOME-based application (which I use with Ubuntu 9.04) gray the
> "Print" button in the print dialog (It however works from other X
> programs, e.g. OpenOffice). 2. I can not find my home printer and print to
> this in any way.
>
> Anyone can help me to resolve this?

You should abandon your client.conf and instead add the drective
BrowsePoll print.chalmers.se
to your local cupsd.conf (as I do not know how CUPS is configured
by default on Ubuntu systems, you might add/modify some other
directives as well). This "imports" all the print server's printers that
are configured as shared.
If the print server does not declare any printers as shared, you are
probably out of luck.

Helge