[cups.general] How do I force duplex when printing?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Aug 7 06:03:50 PDT 2009

Mike Kasick wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 07:42:44AM -0700, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>> As your system uses CUPS as spooling system, I'd suggest modifying your
>> printer's PPD as follows:
>
> Hey thanks for the mod.  It looks like it would work well.  Unfortunately
> I haven't been able to actually get it to work yet.
>
> The printer PPD doesn't have a section for Patches, and there's no other
> JobPatchFile entry.  That may not be that big of a deal, but since I
> didn't know exactly where to put it, I appended it to the end of the
> original PPD.
>
> I did a quick scan of the other PPDs on my system (ones that come with
> CUPS and Foomatic, and I didn't see any job patches for those either.
>
> Anyways, would you mind taking a look at the attached PPD and seeing if
> there's anything incompatible there?
>
> Also, is there a good way to debug whether the filtered postscript
> actually
> contains the appropriate entries?  I've been stealing the postscript files
> out of the CUPS spool as they print, but I don't see any mention of duplex
> except for where it's disabled like it usually is.
>
> Thanks again.

Hi Mike,
might it be that your Windows box(es) print via samba to the CUPS server and
your smb.conf file contains the drective "cups options = raw" ?
In that caswe the print jobs from Wondows are passed directly to the
backend, no filtering is performed, and thus the JobPatchFile from the
PPD does not get included.

BTW, the position of this statement in the PPD is rather arbitrary, so to
append it to the end of the PPD file should be OK.

Helge