[cups.general] Share different printers with different protocols?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Aug 11 11:09:35 PDT 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Lt. John J. Dunbar wrote:
> First off, I think the documentation is pretty confusing here. It
> seems there are two sets of "browse" options.

Yup, one for printers you want to share, and one for shared printers
you want to see/access/print to.

> Why is there a separate man page and cupsd.conf reference? They seem
> to server pretty much the same purpose.

The man page is the quick-reference, while the HTML documentation
provides the detailed reference.

> And wouldn't it be a lot easier for users if the docs were organized
> by purpose/function, rather than simply alphabetically?

We have broken the documentation up into sections over the last couple
CUPS releases to make it more accessible, along with making the
documentation searchable.  I'm open to suggestions for improvement
(i.e. what functions/purposes do you think would be most useful beyond
what we have now?)

> Anyway, is it possible for some printers to be shared via cups and
> others via samba on the same server?

Not at present.  Currently sharing is all-or-nothing.