Share different printers with differentprotocols?

Lt. John J. Dunbar dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 11 13:24:16 PDT 2009

> > And wouldn't it be a lot easier for users if the docs were organized
> > by purpose/function, rather than simply alphabetically?
>
> We have broken the documentation up into sections over the last couple
> CUPS releases to make it more accessible, along with making the
> documentation searchable.  I'm open to suggestions for improvement
> (i.e. what functions/purposes do you think would be most useful beyond
> what we have now?)

Well, one group of options I always found confusing is the Listen, Port, SSLListen, and SSLPort. I don't necessarily understand their relationship, and how some affect others. It would be nice for all of the "listen" options to be in a group together, with a little blurb describing all of them. (BTW, in the latest documentation on the website, there are two SSLOptions listed, and one appears to actually be SSLListen...)

Another group would be the Browsing options that correspond to the server broadcasting shared printer information (with possibly a little blurb including such info as all printers must use the same protocols).

A third group would be the Browsing options that correspond to the server listing to for printers on other servers. My guess has always been that this is similar to serving the printers directly, they just don't need to be in printers.conf (something that would be mentioned in the intro of this section.)

Another section might be the Auth/Require options.

I actually don't even see cupsd.conf listed in the man-pages section anymore, but for my 1.3.9, I really just think that the manpage is useless. It doesn't give me much more info than whether each options exists or not.

Take a look at some other projects with really nice manpages. RSYNC for example has a really long manpage, but it's not that cumbersome. It even has a summary section (similar to the current man 5 cupsd.conf) and then a detailed section (similar to the cupsd.conf reference). I've never wanted to look at the manpage for cupsd.conf, but I do want the reference, it would be nice to have quick access to it from a terminal in the form of a man page.