[cups.general] Add Printer?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Aug 14 08:28:47 PDT 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 5:49 AM, lucy hatherell wrote:
> When I try to add printer in CUPS 1.3.10 I get a list
> Adobe PDF
> App Socket/Hp JetDirect
> Bluetooth Printer
> Bluetooth Modem
> Fax Printer
> Internet Printing Protocol
> LPD/LPR Host or Printer
> Network Printer (HP IP)
> Windows Printer  via SAMBA
> Zeroconf Registered Printer
>
> I am trying to add a Canon Pixma MP620 connected via USB so which of
> these should I choose?

None of them - the Canon *should* show up as a USB-connected printer.

Make sure the printer is available from the Apple-supplied Add Printer
GUI and is listed under the USB devices after clicking on "About this
Mac" in the Apple menu and then "More Info" button on the window that
appears.

> I'm using CUPS in the first place because when I try to add printers
> in print and fax system preferences there are no printers listed
> when I click on the plus sign.

What, if anything, is shown in the /var/log/cups/error_log file?  You
can access this using the Console utility...