Remote raw printing via cups-lpd server

Kirill Ponazdyr sink at codeangels.com
Sun Aug 16 16:08:47 PDT 2009

Hi,

Due to the network topology in one of the projects, we need to send print jobs from several remote clients to printers via single Mac OSX Leopard Server running cups-lpd daemon.

The remote clients submit jobs to cups server using RFC1179 compatible, proprietary spool daemon.

The jobs are PDF files with paper size and orientation encoded in them.

Printers are capable of direct PDF printing. When PDF data is sent from clients to printers directly it comes out perfectly fine. But again, unfortunately this direct network link is not possible in production.

Goal is to send data from clients to printers via osx/cups server in unaltered, original form.

Unfortunately osx/cups seems to always alter (convert to PS in our case) the incoming RFC1179 remote data before passing it to the printer. This conversion messes up page format information encoded in PDF files. This is also true when queue is set to raw=true using lpoptions on the osx/cups server.

The raw option seems to be honored only when printing directly from the same machine osx/cups server is running on. The same queue which changes the job when it comes from remote client prints the very same pdf file perfectly fine when it comes from local machine.

What can we do to fix this problem?

Kind Regards