CUPS sucks!

ncoesel ncoesel at dealogic.nl
Fri Aug 21 00:23:22 PDT 2009

I've spend the last two days trying to get cups to work on an embedded platform. The major problem I'm experiencing is that Cups provides no diagnostic information at all so I don't know what I must fix. It appeared my lp0 device had insufficient rights. Doesn't say in the documentation, I had to visit the links in 3 pages of Google results before I found an obscure forum that gave a hint towards the rights. Now I still need to solve an 'Unsupported format' problem.

Guys (and girls), this really needs fixing! The commands like lpstat, cupsd have no help to show the options (--help) or to show the version (--version). The way cups is now is a real maintenance nightmare. I expected much better from a company like Apple!

Meanwhile I dump cups in favor of the old Linux printing system!