CUPS sucks!

John Thompson john at vector.os2.dhs.org
Fri Aug 21 20:05:14 PDT 2009

On 2009-08-21, ncoesel <ncoesel at dealogic.nl> wrote:

> Guys (and girls), this really needs fixing! The commands like lpstat,
> cupsd have no help to show the options (--help) or to show the
> version (--version). The way cups is now is a real maintenance
> nightmare. I expected much better from a company like Apple!

Doesn't Apple use man pages?

lpstat(1)             Easy Software Products            lpstat(1)

NAME
       lpstat - print cups status information

SYNOPSIS
       lpstat  [ -E ] [ -h server ] [ -l ] [ -W which-jobs ] [ -a
       [ destination(s) ] ] [ -c [ class(es) ] [ -d ] [ -o [ des-
       tination(s) ] ] [ -p [ printer(s) ] ] [ -r ] [ -R ] [ -s ]
       [ -t ] [ -u [ user(s) ] ] [ -v [ printer(s) ] ]

DESCRIPTION
       lpstat  displays  status  information  about  the  current
       classes,  jobs,  and printers. When run with no arguments,
       lpstat will list jobs queued by the  user.  Other  options
       include:

       -E
            Forces encryption when connecting to the server.

       -a [printer(s)]
            Shows  the  accepting  state of printer queues. If no
            printers are specified then all printers are  listed.
       -c [class(es)]
            Shows  the  printer  classes  and  the  printers that
            belong to them. If no classes are specified then  all
            classes are listed.

       -d
            Shows the current default destination.

       -h server
            Specifies the CUPS server to communicate with.

       -l
            Shows a long listing of printers, classes, or jobs.

       -o [destination(s)]
            Shows  the  jobs queue on the specified destinations.
            If no destinations are specified all jobs are  shown.

       -p [printer(s)]
            Shows  the  printers  and  whether  or  not  they are
            enabled for printing. If no  printers  are  specified
            then all printers are listed.

       -r
            Shows whether or not the CUPS server is running.

       -R
            Shows the ranking of print jobs.

       -s
            Shows  a status summary, including the default desti-
            nation, a list of classes and their member  printers,
            and  a list of printers and their associated devices.
            This is equivalent to using the "-d", "-c", and  "-v"
            options.

       -t
            Shows  all  status information. This is equivalent to
            using the "-r", "-d", "-c",  "-v",  "-a",  "-p",  and
            "-o" options.

       -u [user(s)]
            Shows  a  list  of print jobs queued by the specified
            users. If no users  are  specified,  lists  the  jobs
            queued by the current user.

       -v [printer(s)]
            Shows  the printers and what device they are attached
            to. If no printers are specified  then  all  printers
            are listed.

       -W [which-jobs]
            Specifies  which  jobs to show, completed or not-com-
            pleted (the default). This option must appear  before
            the -o option and/or any printer names, otherwise the
            default (not-completed) value will  be  used  in  the
            request to the scheduler.

COMPATIBILITY
       Unlike  the  System V printing system, CUPS allows printer
       names to contain any printable character except SPACE  and
       TAB. Also, printer and class names are not case-sensitive.

       The "-h" and "-W" options are unique to CUPS.

       The Solaris "-f", "-P",  and  "-S"  options  are  silently
       ignored.

SEE ALSO
       cancel(1),    lp(1),    CUPS    Software   Users   Manual,
       http://localhost:631/documentation.html

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright 1993-2005 by Easy Software Products, All  Rights
       Reserved.

3 January 2005     Common UNIX Printing System          lpstat(1)
(END)
--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)