Filter errors

Pete Bowler pete at pbowler.plus.com
Mon Aug 24 12:41:57 PDT 2009

Have just bought and installed an iP4600.

Have installed the drivers and the system recognises the printer OK. Installation gave the message
   dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
   package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
which is odd because I have a 64-bit Intel chip (x86_64). However, it seems to accept it.

Unfortunately when I do a test print, I get:
   /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij failed

Is this a problem with the printer or CUPS? I had a similar message when trying to print to an HP deskjet 310 (but just thought the printer must be too old):
   /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

Can anyone help?????????????