a question about cups and windows

Alessio Tomelleri alessio.tomelleri at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 05:53:31 PDT 2009

> Alessio Tomelleri wrote:
>

> > For first, in advance, I'm really newbye about cups !
> >
> > Now the question...   I've setup <in some way...> a cups server on my
> > Opensuse 11.0, and I really appreciate how from ubuntu client simply
> > editing client.conf u can share in so easy style the printers of my cups
> > server...
> >
> > Unluckly, as many others, I live in a "mix" enviroment... so I would like
> > know if is there some straight way <something like as above> to share to
> > windows workstation the printers of my server cups, without installing
> > everytime the windows driver for every printer... ?!?
> >
> > So I really appreciate any advice you can give me..
> >
> > thx in advance
> > Alessio
>
> The normal way is to use SAMBA on your Linux box(es) as sort of gateway
> application. Then use the cupsaddsmb utility to publisch your printers to
> the Windows environment; then you simply import the printers using the
> Windows APW (Add Printer Wizard).
>
> See hppt:openprinting.org for a detailed howto.
>
> Helge

Thx Helge for your quick answer, I'm just looking your links...

Let me know another little detail please..., in this way <samba>, do I get <something like> my windows ws with the printer just "imported / online" or I must install one at once ?!
What I would like obtain is something like my ubuntu ws, where I simply configure ServerName in client.conf and I got my server's printer on line... is possible do it also in windows, without install everytime the drivers for every Ws, but simply config "some file" and get my cups printers in the printer menu of windows control panel ?!? :-)

thx