[cups.general] CUPS looking for "hpcups" in wrong directory

Timothy Cartwright timothy.cartwright at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:17:58 PDT 2009

Yes, it's installed. FYI, I first thought this was a HPLIP issue so
posted over there. They've also confirmed this problem. Here's a snippet
from the post:

--- snip ---
I have been revisiting your issue as mentioned above and I believe I
have narrowed it down to one variable, CUPS. You are apparently running
version 1.4rc1 and this, from what I can tell, is what has caused the
problem. I have had no problems with printing on my SuSE 10.3 system,
even after wiping the system and reinstalling, as long as I follow the
above instructions (posted by me) and use the provided version of cups
(1.2.12). However, when I updated CUPS to 1.4rc1 all printing stopped.
Unfortunately this issue is outside of my realm but I did spend a little
time, for curiosity's sake, to troubleshoot it. I learned that even
after rolling back to 1.3.9 and/or 1.2.12 I was still getting the
"Restart Cups" message and was unable to correct this problem.

As I mentioned, I will be unable to assist you with this problem but
hopefully it allows you to narrow the focus. Let me know if there is
anything else you come across that directs the issue back to HPLIP.
--- snip ---

The "Restart Cups" message he's referring to comes from HPLIP after
trying to print the testpage. So there is an issue with the new CUPS
version on opensuse 10.3