[cups.general] CUPS 1.4 - System requirements

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Aug 28 10:20:09 PDT 2009

Same as for CUPS 1.3, and as documented in the INSTALL.txt file:

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

     You'll need ANSI-compliant C and C++ compilers, plus a make
program and
     POSIX-compliant shell (/bin/sh).  The GNU compiler tools and Bash
work well
     and we have tested the current CUPS code against several versions
of GCC
     with excellent results.

     The makefiles used by the project should work with most versions
of make.
     We've tested them with GNU make as well as the make programs
shipped by
     Compaq, HP, SGI, and Sun.  BSD users should use GNU make (gmake)
since BSD
     make does not support "include".

     Besides these tools you'll want the JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and ZLIB
libraries for
     image support, the CDSA, GNU TLS, or OpenSSL libraries for
encryption
     support, the OpenLDAP and OpenSLP libraries for directory
services support,
     and either MIT (1.6.3 or higher) or Heimdal Kerberos for Kerberos
support.
     CUPS will compile and run without these, however you'll miss out
on many of
     the features provided by CUPS.

     Also, please note that CUPS does not include the Ghostscript-based
     PostScript filter needed by non-PostScript printers.  You *must*
download
     GPL Ghostscript separately from the CUPS web site if you want to
print
     PostScript files to non-PostScript printers on operating systems
other than
     Mac OS X.