[cups.general] How to run CUPS back-end as root

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun Aug 30 07:42:04 PDT 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:37 AM, Ido Levy wrote:
> I am running RHEL 5.3 with CUPS version 1.3.7-8.el5_3.6.
>
> The CUPS daemon, cupsd process, is running as root:
>   # ps -ef | grep -i cupsd
>   root     30805     1  0 16:16 ?        00:00:01 cupsd
> but the back-end I have written is running as the lp user.
>
> How can I set the back-end to run as root ?

     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/api-filter.html

File Permissions
For security reasons, CUPS will only run filters and backends that are
owned by root and do not have world write permissions. The recommended
permissions for filters and backends are 0555 - read and execute but
no write. Backends that must run as root should use permissions of
0500 - read and execute by root, no access for other users. Write
permissions can be enabled for the root user only.