[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3280: usb and usbtb backends fail when printing to Lexmark Z42

Joe Sewell ultrajoe at spamcop.net
Thu Aug 6 08:37:16 PDT 2009

[STR New]

I've been desperately trying to make the Lexmark Z42 printer I've been
using under Mac OS 9.2.2 work under OS X 10.4.11, but to no avail. The usb
backend consistently crashes, either at the start or in the middle of a
print job. I am unable to go to OS X 10.5, as it will not run on my old
450 MHz PowerMac G4 (one of the originals). I have also tried using the
alternative usbtb backend, with equal failure.

Attached is a cupsd error log with LogLevel Debug turned on.

Someone on the Gutenprint project or the MacFixIt site suggested a USB
cable issue. A new cable actually produced worse results.

I need to add here that the printer works just fine if I reboot into OS
9.2.2.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3280
Version: 1.1.23